This is a protected wreck and lies in position 51:12 00N 01 30 33.6E There is a 150m exclusion zone.
This illustration is adapted from a detail taken from the jacket painting by F J H Gardiner for the book Lords of the East, by Jean Sutton [London, Conway Maritime Press, 1981]
The Admiral Gardner was 800 tons British East India Company ship. She was leaving the Thames estuary and was sunk on the Goodwin Sands. On 25 January 1809 she was at anchor off the Kent coast when a violent gale caused her to break away from her anchorage.
Leading an archaeological team , Richard Larn, led a team to survey the wreck between 1983 and 1986. They found a large number of barrels containing thousands of coins. They turned out to be copper tokens which were used to pay Indian workers who could cash them in for real money and had very little face value but do sell on ebay for upwards of £5. Over 1 million coins were raised which was only half of the 54 tons on board when she sank. A large number of these were sold to Masters Matches and BP for use in their promotions.
The 813-ton East Indiaman ‘Admiral Gardner’ was built in 1796 at Blackwall alongside the HMS Venerable. She was named after Alan Gardner, the first Baron Gardner (1742–1809), who had a distinguished naval career until he became a Member of Parliament in 1796. She was commanded by Commanded by William Eastfield when she was wrecked off South Foreland on the Goodwin Sands
The coins were minted in Birmingham for use by the East India Company in the “Madras Presidency”. They show the Coat of arms of the East India Company, 2 lions and St Georges cross on the crest and flags motto inscribed on them read “Under the patronage of England” and the 10’s and 20’s are inscribed in Persian and read “Ten Cash are equal to one Fanam (12 fanam to one rupees.